Blog #3 – No Two Days Are Alike

This internship has been very different from any of my previous ones. For the first time, I don’t have my own desk and I never know what my day will look like until I arrive. We now have over fourteen interns working at this office and as there aren’t enough desks and computers for everyone, we rotate our work spaces and generally complete projects in twos or threes.

In the past, my internships have required me to be a self-starter and stick to hard deadlines. This internship, on the other hand, requires me to be much more flexible. Since not every intern is at the office everyday, we often have weeklong gaps in the middle of projects because the relevant information got saved on someone else’s account and nobody has access to it. The process of completing tasks is slow but also very interesting.

Previous internships have taught me a lot about working towards deadlines and keeping myself on track, but this internship has taught me more about teamwork. Everyday we have a different group of people in the office and we work out how we want to handle our projects. Some days we have projects that only really require one person, but we find ways to split up the work so we all have something to do. On other days, we get bigger projects that require anywhere from three to ten people and if only two people are in the office that day, we have to come up with a way to complete it on our own. Although it’s not the most predictable internship, everyday brings a new challenge and I like to think that this is how politics works anyways.

2 thoughts on “Blog #3 – No Two Days Are Alike

Hi, Zainab! I’m Zane Harding and I am an intern with the LSA Opportunity Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts throughout the summer.

I am excited to hear that you have this opportunity to learn about working in politics. I think you did a great job balancing questions and getting things done, as well. It’s always important to ask questions, but I agree, work still needs to be done while you are figuring things out.

It was very interesting to hear how few staff members work in these offices. The fact that each staff member must be an expert in multiple policy areas is surprising to me. That said, I hope you are learning a lot from your coworkers, especially because you can apply that knowledge in the future.

It is crazy to hear that the number of interns practically doubled while you were there! You’re practically a veteran now. It’s unfortunate to hear that projects get delayed often due to interns not working every day, however. Perhaps you should suggest to a supervisor some kind of way that you could make this more efficient?

I’d be curious to hear more about the past internship experience that you have alluded to multiple times and how it has prepared you for this internship. While it is difficult to face different challenges every day, I am glad to hear that you are not only prepared for these challenges but that you are embracing them. Great work!

Hi Zane,

Thanks for the comment! So far this internship has been very interesting and I’m looking forward to my last few weeks here.

Best,
      Zainab