Crunching through…

Crazy to think I am already past the halfway point of my internship… I came into the internship expecting my main learning experience to be surrounded by the project itself, but the last few weeks have proved that to be far from true. The lab I’m in is extremely competitive and almost entirely focuses on results as the end all be all. As the only undergrad in the lab, it’s definitely tough to balance the learning with progressing quickly with my project and other tasks I’m given.

In a few months, I’ve taught myself Matlab and have created several simple scripts for my project. I’ve also begun to dabble in python, but still pretty new to the language and programming in general. While picking up some programming skills I’ve also been exposed to machine learning and deep learning techniques in the context of lesion detection. It’s definitely a privilege to be able to be a part of a team that is so involved in the intersection of machine learning and radiology, which I believe will be the future of image analysis and tools used by physicians.

It’s been a stressful few months, but I’m definitely learning to appreciate how to balance project expectations with learning with finding my place in a rapidly changing field.