Expanding Knowledge and Abilities #2

So far my internship is going well and things have been pretty much as expected. I think this is really due to the fact that I am already very familiar with what goes on in the lab as well as the culture there, so there aren’t really any big surprises about what is asked of me. I have, however, enjoyed being tasked with new things that I haven’t done before. I feel like my knowledge and skills are being broadened because of this, and I am gaining a more well-rounded perspective of the types of work done in the lab. Now that I have been coming in more regularly with longer hours, I feel like I am really becoming a part of the lab. When I worked during the school year, I would only come in for a few hours at a time in between classes, and this was only two to three days a week, so I felt like a bit of an outsider. However, now that I am there for the entirety of a normal workday, I feel like I belong and have a permanent place within the lab. Fortunately, I have not had any major blunders during these first few weeks, but whenever I do make a little mistake, I usually try to handle it myself if that is all that is needed. Otherwise, I notify whichever member whose work may have been affected so that they are aware of what happened. I’ve found that it’s best to communicate when things go differently than planned so that everyone is on the same page and people aren’t surprised at what they may find later.

One thought on “Expanding Knowledge and Abilities #2

Hello Katrina!

My name is Josh Lee, and I am one of the coaches in the LSA Opportunity Hub. Myself and one of the Hub Interns will be reading and commenting on your blog. I am really looking forward to reading about your experience this summer – I hope it is a fulfilling and rewarding experience!

-Josh