Hectic But Rewarding Week! #4

It has only been a couple of days since the last time I posted but this week was jam-packed with so much to do that I had to write a post about it! Having so much work to do is bittersweet because it makes me feel so productive and rewarded by the end but I’m also so grateful that its over. Probably the most difficult part about the week was that so many child participants cancelled very last minute when they were supposed to come in the lab. All the research assistants come in thirty minutes early to set up and prepare everything when a child is scheduled to come in, so it is disappointing when they call in five minutes before to say they can’t make it and don’t reschedule. That’s the life of a researcher I guess…

I’ve also started running adult participants through the University of Michigan Psych Subject Pool for Psych 111/112 students taking classes over the summer. This is a great opportunity because there aren’t many ways to reach out to adult participants for our study in the first place. Using the UofM Subject Pool website to get students to sign up for the study is simple and efficient, even though the pool is small. Since I ran adult participants last school year, it was easy to get back into the routine of things and run as many participants as I could. I also helped train two of the interns who had never ran adult participants for this study before to make the process a lot quicker with three interns running it.

Finally, today was our shift at the Living Lab (interactive part of the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum where kids can learn about and be a part of research) and we took two shifts from 12-5 pm. 5 hours!! Usually we only stay for 2.5 hours so staying double was helpful in getting so much more participants but also draining. Surprisingly, today was even a busy day so children kept on lining up to play the game with us and be a part of the study. Even though there were slight issues with the technology, organization, and keeping track of all the children, I would say today was one of the most efficient days of gathering data we have had all summer. By the end of the shift, all of us were very satisfied with the turnout and were so much closer to finishing up the study. I would say that this week was very HECTIC, but also REWARDING.

One thought on “Hectic But Rewarding Week! #4

Thank you for sharing! I am sorry to hear that you have had difficulty with last minute cancellations. Hopefully you and the team can figure out what, if any, circumstances have contributed to the cancellations in an effort to minimize the occurrences in the future. It sounds like MSPICED is keeping you very busy! That shows not only a high demand for the research; but also a high demand for the work that you are doing this summer. I am glad to hear that you are finding the work rewarding; albeit a bit hectic. Keep up the great work and I look forward to hearing more. Thanks again. – Jake