I Think I Like It Here | #3

It’s hard to believe that as I write this, summer is more than halfway over which means I’m almost done with my internship. It seems like just yesterday, I got off my flight to NYC, both anxious and eager to begin my summer-long journey. As a rising senior, the idea of moving to a new city is not just an idea anymore, it’s a reality of the near future, and now that I’ve been in NYC for 7 weeks, I’ve started to seriously consider what life would be like to permanently live here. Despite the ridiculous summer humidity and the random, inconvenient subway delays, I think I could truly picture myself living in the Big Apple.

Between the Broadway shows, the unbeatable food selection, summer concerts in Central Park, sports games, a plethora of rooftops, and so much more, there is never a dull moment here. Although I really do enjoy lazy lake days in Michigan, I’m definitely ready for a change of pace post-graduation. And yes–I do realize I’d have to deal with the awful Northeastern winters, but is it really that much worse than a brutal Michigan winter? (Don’t answer that.)

All joking aside, I really have enjoyed living here this summer and the transition from Michigan to NYC was made much easier by the fact that so many of my UMich friends are here (wherever you go!). I’ve also become good friends with the other interns at News America who came from all over the country as well, so that really helped my transition here, too. Having people to talk and relate to both inside and outside of work has been so ideal. I’ve even taken up occasional dog walking here–I have to admit, I miss my dog a lot, but it’s definitely going to be harder to leave NYC than I thought!

One thought on “I Think I Like It Here | #3

It’s great to hear that your internship experience has already been so rewarding and enriching. It sounds like you’ve really had a lot of opportunity to explore yourself during this process and find out what things really matter most to you.

Having lots of friends (old and new) to help ease you through the transition sounds like it’s been a very positive thing. Being in a new city, exploring, and finding new things is an exciting discovery process and it sounds like you’ve dove head first into it. Keep up the good work and keep pushing to get every last bit you can from your experience!

Look forward to hearing more from you!