Second to last week update

Last week, the interns and I joined the entire Planning and Development department at a private viewing of “Detroit 48202: Conversations Along a Postal Route.” A couple parts of the movie included people talking about dedication to unions so it was fitting that we viewed the movie at United Auto Workers (UAW) Ford National Programs Center, just a three/four minute walk from our office.

The movie was very interesting and eye opening. The protagonist was an easy to like, cheerful character who won the hearts of many in the theater. After the showing, we had a discussion with the creator of the film, a man from the Department of Neighborhoods, and the head of the Planning and Development department. This was a great excursion for the afternoon!

I’m coming up on my last week in the Mayor’s Office and it’s been an incredible two months. It is not easy to please everyone in the City of Detroit but the Planning and Development department is actively seeking new ways to engage residents on new projects. I really appreciate the hard work of the employees here.

One thought on “Second to last week update

Thank you for sharing. I am very pleased to hear that you have found your experience with the City of Detroit rewarding and that the work of the working professionals have given you a new appreciation for the work. Municipal work can be challenging in that it is impossible to please everyone of your stakeholders. As long as you strive for excellence in your professional life, you will find that you have achieved many of your goals! I hope the experience has helped you chart a path to your professional life after college. In addition, I hope that you have found ways from this experience to translate what your have learned into the classroom. Looking forward to reading your last post. – Jake