The Business of Research | #2

Since beginning my summer internship at Merit Network I’ve learned a lot about research and being a researcher. While I did some work for Merit over the school year, I did not have the time nor the relationships with other coworkers to work on big projects. This summer I have had the opportunity to to work on a few special projects that have expanded my perspective of research in a large company. Beyond purely academic pursuits, Merit’s Research and Development department is also in charge of researching new ways to improve their current services and studying what other Internet Service Providers are offering to their customers. These projects have helped introduce me to the point where academic research meets business and how the two necessitate each other. Research without business would find little application for the technologies it develops and business without research would quickly stagnate. This type of research makes me very excited for what the future holds because I know that the projects I’m working on today may very well become the first-party services that Merit offers in the next few months or years. Moreover, I have been able to sit-in on several meetings with company managers in charge of business and operational departments at Merit and have found the experience very rewarding. It’s a nice way to break up the day and give a report on what I’ve been doing recently. It has also significantly improved my verbal communication skills and presentation ability. Being able to work towards a tangible, marketable goal rather than conducting experiments or gathering results for a paper has been a unique experience and one that I’m excited to continue.

One thought on “The Business of Research | #2

Hi Owen,

I really enjoyed reading this post. I was particularly excited about hearing the various types of experiences you’re able to maximize at The Merit Network. Kudos to you for availing each opportunity. This experience puts you ahead of the game! I’m curious to hear about how you felt sitting in on a couple of those manager meetings?

DeMario