Approaching the End | #7

This week I gathered information on various companies and their contact information. The aim is to get 500 companies in total before the end of my internship, in time for the new company launch. I’ve heard that it’s a big change so I’m interested in how different the new product will turn out.

Next week is my last week of my internship. During my time here in Taiwan, the people have left the strongest impression on me. Last year during the summer, I lived in Beijing for 2 months. When comparing Beijing and Taipei, I’ve found that the people are very different. Although Mainland Chinese people and Chinese Taiwanese people share the blood and have the same culture, how they think differ immensely.

It’s hard to describe exactly how it’s different, but perhaps one is that Taiwanese people tend to appreciate the little things in life more. Beijing people are much more fast paced. They walk faster, talk faster, and seem to even eat faster. I think these traits came about due to environmental influences. Perhaps because Taiwan was occupied by several countries in the past, the people seem to be a lot more internationalised, their grasp of English is significantly better than Mainlanders. Also, they are much more aware of global affairs and have a stronger interest in the pop culture of other countries (as compared to Mainlanders).

The stark contrast between Mainlanders and Taiwanese people, has only made more aware that Chinese people are a really diverse group of people (contrary to popular belief). There’s a world of difference between Mainlanders and overseas Chinese people.

One thought on “Approaching the End | #7

Hi Sung Eun,

Congratulations on making it to the final stretch of your internship! What an accomplishment! Is there a way that you intend on keeping on contact with the company? It could be interesting to follow up with your supervisor or coworkers to see how the new product turns out, and it could be great networking to keep up to date about the company. Your musings about the difference between mainland and Taiwanese Chinese people are incredibly interesting and insightful. Do you prefer to live and work in the fast-paced Mainland Chinese culture, or in the more globalized and laid back Taiwanese culture? Now that you are wrapping up your internship this could be a great time to start thinking about how you want to talk about your experience and how it could be conveyed in a resume or cover letter. What are some of the most important skills you’ve gained or projects you’ve worked on?

The Opportunity Hub is here to support you in talking about your internship experience and crafting the best resume or cover letter, so feel free to stop by Hub drop-in hours throughout the fall to chat with one of our Hub coaches or give us a call to set up a virtual appointment! You can find more information about drop-in hours here: https://lsa.umich.edu/opportunityhub/students/drop-in-hours.html

Best of luck!

– Danielle