Blueberries… Everywhere! | #3

Last week, I had one of the most memorable food experiences of the summer. On Friday, my supervisor and I took the Keep Growing Detroit Youth Apprentices on a field trip to Ms. Barbara Norman’s blueberry farm in Covert, Michigan. We were traveling by bus with youth and staff from the Detroit School Garden Collaborative, and spent the day on the farm alongside Ms. Barbara and her family. We took a long walk around the 50+ acre property, made smoothies by pedaling a bike blender (with the Fresh Food Fairy), learned about the benefits of a plant-based diet, and picked blueberries from the nearby Anderson Farm.

One of the most memorable moments of the day was a conversation we had with Ms. Barbara about land and land ownership. At one point, Ms. Barbara said, “he who owns the land, makes the rules,” and then proceeded to encourage all of our young people to think of agriculture as a stable, noble career path.

By the end of the day, we all left Ms. Barbara’s property with over 5 pounds of blueberries each! They were sweet and fresh, and we all agreed that they tasted even better because we picked them ourselves.

After our adventure in the blueberry fields, we traveled to Lake Michigan for a dip in the water. For many of the youth, this was their first time swimming in a Great Lake — and we had an amazing time. Swimming in the lake together was one of the happiest moments of my entire summer. I’ll never forget how cold the water was, or how happy we were to be there.

With the blueberries and the lake, I couldn’t have asked for anything more! It was a perfect way to end a long week.

One thought on “Blueberries… Everywhere! | #3

Emily,

I won’t lie, from the beginning to the end of this post, I had the most ridiculous grin on my face. I am so glad that you had an experience that sounds like you’ll carry with you for a long time – there’s nothing quite as rewarding as moments when our work, our passions, and evidence of our positive impact collide, and this seems to be one of those moments for you!

Did this experience challenge any of your notions on what you want out of your professional life? You mentioned Ms. Barbara’s quote and encouragement to think about agriculture as a viable and noble career path – did this make you think about what sorts of work you want to do? Did you notice any similar reflections taking place in the apprentices?

Again, I loved reading this particular post, and I’m glad that you’re finding this experience to be a valuable one!

-Josh