Food Memory | #4

In NYC, you have the world’s cuisine at your fingertips.  There’s Chinatown, Little Italy, and Koreatown, to name a few.  About once a week, I try a new restaurant in the Financial District, where I work, for lunch.  The rest of the week I bring lunch, because I absolutely love to cook!  And interestingly enough, my best food memory in NYC has been something I cooked myself.

I sublet an apartment in Brooklyn and my room mate, Kathleen, doesn’t cook much – like many New Yorkers.  But, she’s fascinated by my cooking, and asks me from time to time if she can taste what I’ve made, or learn how to cook a recipe with me.  We have a small rooftop patio and grill, and one day she suggested that we grill something together!

one of the best perks of my apartment!

We headed to the grocery store together and bought chicken, zucchini, onions, cherry tomatoes, green bell pepper, mushrooms, and plenty of dried oregano (it’s the magic ingredient).  She prepped the vegetables and slid them onto wooden skewers, and I marinated cubes of chicken in olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, lemon, and oregano.  After a few hours, we fired up the grill and made chicken and vegetable skewers.

Our side dishes were rice pilaf and tzatziki sauce (another magical ingredient!!).  My roomie and I shared an awesome meal and bottle of white wine together, relaxing on the porch.  We have since made the same exact recipe and had lunch on the porch together again, and she’s said more than once, “I don’t know what I’ll do when you leave!”

so tasty

I’ve had pretty horrible room mates in the past, so it means a lot to me to have a cool room mate who’s also a friend.  I haven’t made any close friends at work, since the interns and myself are all in different departments, so it’s been a breath of fresh air to come home to a friend every day.  I’ve only got 3 more weeks left in the city, and you bet we’ll be firing up that grill again soon!

2 thoughts on “Food Memory | #4

Micayla,

As a former New Yorker, I cannot communicate enough my jealousy of your awesome rooftop patio!

I’m glad that you’re not just posting about your work, but also about the experience of living in a new city. New York is a huge place and it’s not the easiest city in the world to be a home cook, but I’m glad you’re taking the time to do things that you love! Not only that, but you’re also teaching a roommate a really valuable life skill, so double kudos!

You mentioned not having made many close friends at work due to all of the interns being split in different departments – do you think you’ve made other types of relationships during your experience (Future mentors, collaborators, etc?) It’s never a bad idea to reflect on the people you’ve encountered and the roles they may play in your development moving forward – it’s difficult to feel like you don’t have your “work buddy”, but that doesn’t mean that other incredibly valuable relationships are not being built!

-Josh

It’s so cool that you are a former New Yorker!

I have definitely made new professional relationships, and new connections on LinkedIn from the internship 🙂