Lapraka, an area of its own #3

Hi!

This past week, I had the opportunity to start at a different center in a different area of Tirana known as Lapraka. This center offers food in addition to other services for the people who do not have any support systems, meaning that they are alone in the streets of Tirana. They face many health problems and lack the monetary funds to take proper care of themselves. I had the opportunity to serve them food, and though some of them did not show gratitude toward the staff, the staff continued to do everything with tremendous care. The new coworkers were very welcoming and friendly. They not only explained the work they do, but they went above and beyond by always inviting me to get coffee, something Albanians do often.

On Friday, I attended an event put on by the Mayor’s office to encourage people to donate blood. From what I learned, Albanians are not too well informed about the necessity of blood donation. The event was attended by many officials. Among the many people I met, one of the ladies who works at the new center was going through some family health issues, and she had been at the hospital for the past week, every night, yet she refused to go home. She continued working. Her dedication to the people in need is more than admirable.

Thus far, I have found more than I expected from the people who work in these institutions. The people I have met have taught me more about character and humanity than the work itself, and with this, I am extremely happy!

Thanks for reading,

Ermelinda

One thought on “Lapraka, an area of its own #3

Ermelinda,

Thanks for posting this reflection – It sounds like you’re constantly surrounded by passionate, hardworking people, and the effect of this really comes through in your writing!

Few things are as powerful as engaging with people who are willing to sacrifice personal comfort and gain in the pursuit of bettering their community and the world around them – the traditional conversations around the world of work seem to be quite trivial when bringing in the context of these individuals. Have you thought about the importance of work-life balance, professionalism, and other topics that are regular points when discussing career and self-development? How much of your colleagues and co-workers’ willingness to put in extra time and energy do you think is attributed to cultural norms and expectations vs the organization you’re working for?

I love reading your posts – keep up the great work!

-Josh