Maryland Democratic Party Internship | #1

This summer, I started working at the Maryland Democratic Party as a Field Intern. As I am figuring out what career path I want to pursue after I graduate from the University of Michigan this coming spring I wanted to experience what working in politics and for a campaign entailed. In my first few days I met all of the staff members in the office that were in charge of crafting the message of the party statewide and guiding the path to winning races this coming November. As I got to work I realized a lot of what I had to do was getting in contact directly with people to learn what politics meant to them and how it affected their lives. This has been very formative for me as I had hoped to become informed about careers in politics and started to gain those experiences very quickly as I made calls to people and learned what issues were most important to them and processed that data. I hope that I will learn more as the summer goes on and Maryland has its primary elections which will lead to a new phase of the internship once the Democratic candidates for the general election are set in stone and I begin to help the party win important races throughout the state.

One thought on “Maryland Democratic Party Internship | #1

Hi Shema, my name is Hannah Lozon, and I work in the LSA Opportunity Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer and I look forward to hearing more about your experience at the Maryland Democratic Party. What year are you at Michigan? Sounds like this summer opportunity has the real potential to help you narrow your focus on your career goals, that’s outstanding. What a great experience to be doing it during the primary season too.

I look forward to learning more about your experience and hearing your reflection as the summer progresses.