Mentorship Matters #2

This summer I have been able to learn a lot about various different fields within the corporate world and that has a lot to do with the program I have been a part of, which focuses on exposing diverse candidates to corporate life and it has really changed my perspective on what I want to work in. One of the resources we are given in the program is a mentor and I am thankful for the mentor I have, especially because she is also a young woman of color navigating in a company where there aren’t many Latinas. My mentor has been able to introduce me to Public Affairs and I am very interested in working in Public Affairs in the future as a way to understand how to organize events within corporate citizenship and philanthropy. She has also been able to help me with my resume and with soft skills within business and getting a job in a new place. While I have been able to get advice from various people within the company in different departments she has been the consistent support while I have been in my internship and has encouraged me to speak up to receive more work as well as asking people to meet with me. I know she will also be a good person to know and be friends with in the future if I get a job here because it feels like she genuinely cares about me.

Mikaela

Raised in Detroit. U of M class of 2019

2 thoughts on “Mentorship Matters #2

Hi Mikaela,

My name is Danielle and I work in the Information Services area of the LSA Opportunity Hub. I’ll be reading and commenting on your blogs this summer!

It’s so wonderful to hear that you’ve been able to find a solid mentor, and that the company already has a mentorship program in place so you’ve been supported throughout your time interning! What kinds of soft skills have you be building during your internship? That’s such a great place for your mentor to help guide you. Do you have any plans for how you want to continue your relationship with your mentor when your internship is over? LinkedIn and social media can definitely be a great tool to keep updated with the professional and personal lives of people you have met during a summer internship experience.

I’m looking forward to hearing more about your summer!

– Danielle

I have her number and I am probably going to add her on social media. Overall she has been able to show me soft skills that have to do with presentation including my resume.