One step forward | #6

When I first started this internship, I knew most of what to expect. It was a community that I had been a part of since the beginning of my freshman year, and would stick with for the rest of my life. I thought I knew what the daily operations were, the people etc. In most ways I was right, but in many I was not.

What I didn’t realize was all of those who have the back of the Kessler Program. From the Donor who, bless his heart, is willing to go lengths beyond what I could conceive as possible to see our organization succeed, to the wonderful people that work together in a tiny office to create ways to make students feel so accepted. There is an entire team rooting for these scholars, and it is much their job to complete even the most mundane tasks as it is to welcome the students with genuine smiles on their faces. It is this that humbles me; for if I am ever to feel lost, confused, or simply feel like giving up, I will think of all of those who I worked with this summer who argue for the students side and try their hardest to make a difference. Watching all of the pieces fall into place at the end of the day, and witnessing all of those who work together so well yet sit at different offices will never cease to amaze me.

Although I am forever thankful for this internship opportunity, I know that I won’t end up in another job quite like this. It has broadened my perspective multitudes, but it has also made me aware that higher ed is not necessarily where my heart lies. I will help out as much as I can; I will forever think of the amazing time I have had here, and eventually I hope to give back in a similar way as they have.

One thought on “One step forward | #6

Hello Kendra –
    Thank you for this thoughtful window into the meaning you have derived, personally and professionally, from your work this summer. It sounds as though the work of your team left a powerful impression on you about the value of working with a shared mission and sense of commitment. Even if you feel pulled somewhere other than higher ed in the long run, I encourage you to keep an eye out for this quality – my hope is that you will find it in other organizations, too.

As of this post, you’ve completing your blogging requirements for the summer (though you are welcome to continue posting). It’s been a pleasure to read your reflections. Best wishes as you wrap up your work, and we hope to see you at the Hub sometime!

-Kate