Sit Down, Be Humble | Blog #4

I’ve done every quintessential “intern duty” possible. I’ve fetched for coffee all over Nashville, sought after organic juices all over Cannes, France, served sparkling water to powerful Hollywood producers and executives, printed and stapled scripts and forms, and gave my bosses’ in-laws a grand tour of Nashville. After three internships, I’ve picked up on the randomest skills and learned a bunch about the film industry, but I also have noticed myself feeling jaded and forgetting my roots. Wayfarer is my fourth internship, and I have to constantly remind myself to stay humble and be enthusiastic.

In the film and television industry, I’ve learned that it’s really easy to slip into a feeling of entitlement. I definitely wrestle with Hollywood, because with all the access that comes along with it, it’s hard not to get caught up in the glamour of it all. However, in order to keep myself grounded, early in my internship, I made it a goal to follow a morning ritual: every day when I drive down Sunset Boulevard and see the Hollywood sign, I reflect on how grateful I am and remind myself to make the most of my day at work [very cheesy, I know!]. However, after a month and half, it has become harder to follow through with my morning ritual. I noticed that I’ve fallen into a monotonous routine, and I’ve forgotten how lucky I am to have such an opportunity. I lost my sense of gratitude and started feeling bitter because I didn’t feel the same excitement as I did the first couple of weeks.

I am realizing now that my time here in LA is coming to an end, and I need to find value in every experience, no matter how big or how small, no matter how exciting or how dull the day is.

Of course, I will allow myself to feel down on some days, but I will not allow my own negativity to cloud an amazing and rare opportunity. Staying humble and being enthusiastic takes work. It’s not supposed to be easy, and I’m finally realizing that.

Nina K

SAC major. Class of 2019.

2 thoughts on “Sit Down, Be Humble | Blog #4

Hi Nina,

Thank you for sharing your amazing post! My name is DeMario Bell and I am the Information Services Coordinator at the Opportunity Hub. I will be following your blogs for the summer. Let me first say kudos to you for making the big summer move to the city of Angels! I’m sure that was exciting and overwhelming at the same time. However, it seems like you are adjusting to the LA life and absorbing all of it’s culture.

One story that stuck out to me most is when you stated that you wanted to work for a values-driven company such as Wayfarer. I find that so profound and remarkable. A number of people do not have that A’ha moment until later in life. I’m so happy to hear that! I’m partially jealous you ran into Shonda Rhimes on your first day at the studio lot. She’s amazing!

I want to echo a point you made about being humble and valuing each task you do. That is correct. No matter what task you’re doing (big or small), give it 100%. You never know who’s watching or how that can parlay into greater responsibilities. Being humble is a lifelong lesson as it will take you far! Moreover, I’m interested in hearing if you were able to be a part of any project-based work while in LA?

Hi DeMario!

Actually, yes! I’m actually developing a show right now, and it’ll be pitched to a company soon (I can’t give out too many details). It’s all exciting. In addition to working for Wayfarer, it’s really nice to be able to do my own side projects, especially projects that could become something big and meaningful.

Thanks for checking out my blog posts!