Washington | #2

As I’m working in Washington D.C., I think it would be appropriate to spend a blog post talking about where I’m living this summer.

Since my internship started, I have been staying at George Washington University in Foggy Bottom, just blocks away from the White House, the State Department, and the National Mall. Being in such close proximity to these landmarks is pretty remarkable, as I can just walk out to them on any given evening. All the Smithsonian museums are nearby as well, so I have made sure to enjoy them while I can. I continue to be amazed by how many resources in the city are free. Just two weekends ago I visited the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery and saw every presidential portrait. In any other city, there would be a fee to see something like this, but here it is an experience that is free of charge.

The downtown itself has plenty of beautiful areas, and the height restriction on buildings has a charming impact on the layout and appearance of the city. The most important thing to note about downtown DC is that it completely clears out over the weekend. During the work week, the population of the city tops out over a million people, but the permanent population of the city is just over 600,000. It is not uncommon to be walking along on a Sunday and just catch a few tourists hanging about.

I would remiss if I didn’t mention that the dorm I’m staying at on campus is filled with kids wearing block-M’s and Michigan gear. Truly where ever you go, go blue.

One thought on “Washington | #2

Hi, Cole. Wow, what a photo – you should submit it to the photo contest (http://myumi.ch/LoDON). It’s so interesting to hear that the city is nearly empty on the weekends. And yes, the maize and blue community really is wherever you go!

At this time, I would like to introduce you to Uzma Anwar. Uzma will be following your internship until August. Best of luck to you!