#1: Before the beginning

Honestly, before I began my job search for summer 2018, I didn’t even know about the U of M Opportunity Hub. Thanks to Google, and the Hub for making it easily accessible online, I was able to navigate my way into this wonderful system where I am not alone in my daunting job search. Within minutes, I came across the job description of Midsummer Tea.

First of all, the fact that the internship was located in Sweden near Stockholm was a definite attention grabber! However, I was immediately pulled in more because looking at the description, I was very convinced that everything this job required and had to offer was just for me. I am a communications major and an art and design minor who wants to focus of marketing through social media with creative content, which was exactly the position they were offering. But more importantly, I was all about the tea! I used to drink a lot of coffee but I noticed that coffee sometimes broke out my skin and gave me sleeping issues. So, from a couple years back, I started changing my go-to beverage to tea and truly realized the charm of it. Moreover, my mom is a tea sommelier and is completely obsessed. She used to always teach me about the history and the different kinds of tea and because of all these reasons, I felt an instant connection with Midsummer Tea.

I quickly submitted my application (and the application deadline was only a few days away, which I also took as a sign that this was meant to be!), and waited for results. Quickly enough, Jess from Midsummer Tea reached out to me for an interview and well.. now we know how that went!

I am thrilled for this amazing opportunity and I am excited to gain a lot of experience in my time here about all the things I am interested in, in one bundle!

One thought on “#1: Before the beginning

I’m so glad to hear that you found the Opportunity Hub to be a useful way to connect to your passions, Sul! We definitely aim to provide opportunities for students like yourself that really speak to what you want to do in life, and I’m really happy to hear that you found a great internship position for you. As you get started, I’d encourage you to think through some of your goals, passions, talents, and interests. Those can really shape who you are and what you do during your time in Sweden. The time is going to fly by, so having some clear goals at the outset can really help you make the most of the experience.