#2 Enchanting Country, Sweden

Before coming to Sweden for this internship, I had never been here before. I’ve always wanted to visit Northern Europe and one of the (many) reasons I applied for this position was because it was located in Sweden!

When I visited Western Europe, I fell in love with the architecture and the culture. However, I’ve been told that both of those things are very different in Northern Europe, so I was eager to find out. As I first landed in Sweden, I came a few days before my internship to look around Stockholm before I head over to where my internship is located. When I first saw the city, I was instantly in love with the architecture, the colors, the sky, and the water. The buildings were primarily red, orange, and yellow with black roofs, which made every single picture that I took look so vibrant. All the different ‘districts,’ Norrmalm, Gamla Stan, Sodermalm, Ostermalm, and Kungsholmen were all so beautiful and distinct in character. I spent all of my days walking around the whole city admiring everything I saw.

Then, I travelled 40mins from the city to go to the farm my internship is located. When I arrived at the train station in the neighborhood, my supervisor picked me up and took me into the farm. First of all, I have never stayed at a farm for more than 5 hours… but to stay in one for 6 weeks, was a challenge even before I started. The whole farm is huge, but my superior’s house is very cute and cozy. The guesthouse that I’m staying at is not the homiest place but now that I’ve been living in it for 2 weeks, it’s getting more comfortable. Contrary to Stockholm, in this farm, there are sheep roaming around, horses grazing the fields, people jumping into the lake all the time, and everyone knows each other. It’s a very friendly atmosphere here and the only thing I need to work on is overcoming my fear of bugs and insects because it doesn’t seem like they are going to leave me alone…

Stockholm and the farm are a nice contrast and it’s great to have two very different options for me to spend my off times.

One thought on “#2 Enchanting Country, Sweden

Contrast can be a lovely thing, and it sounds like you have found that in your internship position outside of Stockholm. I am glad that your supervisor’s home is cozy, and I hope that your home begins to feel like, well, more of a home in time. One thing that I recommend doing is put up some decorations that mean something to you. That could be a photo or two from home; it could be a University of Michigan flag or pennant; it could be anything that matters to you! Just seeing something in your space that reminds you of who you are and where you came from can have a very powerful psychological impact, so I encourage you to try that out!