Blog Post #4: Project Development

So, my supervisor always has his interns do a final project to submit at the end of their time here to showcase their interests, skills, and learn new stuff, too. I have a certain affiliation for commercial, and the other intern works for Wag!, the dog walking app. So we collaborated our resources and we are making a 30 second spot about Wag!. I’m really excited, as this is the first thing I will have made outside of the UMich community, and it aligns perfectly with what I plan on doing later in my career. I consider myself very lucky to have this opportunity, and to have the help of my supervisors here in the office.

We just finished mocking up the script and we plan on storyboarding this weekend, doing a lot of prep during the week, and shooting the next. It’ll be a really fast process, but I’m so excited to start. More updates to come!

Veronica Slaven

Junior studying Screen Arts & Cultures interning at Gorilla Flicks in Burbank, CA.

One thought on “Blog Post #4: Project Development

Veronica,

I’m glad that you finally get to head up a project from start to finish, and that it aligns so well with the type of work you want to pursue!

While you’re working on this with your partner, I’d encourage you to reflect on the experience throughout. What elements of the project do you really enjoy, and what elements can you live without? Do you prefer the work of content creation, or do you prefer the process of collaborating and coming up with ideas? Thinking about specific areas and tasks that resonate with your motivations and talents will really help you crystallize the areas where you can advocate for yourself in future opportunities.

I’m really looking forward to hearing about how this goes! Best of luck!

-Josh