Expectations | #2

Roughly a week in, and I can’t say my expectations were exactly aligned with my experience so far.  I suppose that coming in, I was so excited for the opportunity that I forgot about the realities of a client-facing line of service such as this, where we are dependent upon our client to provide information in a timely manner, contracts to be signed, and communication to be constant.  Unfortunately, I haven’t had to much exposure to client work, but as a result I’ve been able to complete all of my compliance trainings for the summer.  Blessing in disguise I suppose.  There are many people here who are on my ‘team’ or ‘in my corner’ as far as succeeding for the internship.  All of whom are at different levels of experience within the firm.  I’ve heard from some that it’s a coding heavy role, some say it’s just client intensive, and some say it’s a mix of both.  I guess it depends on the role you play within your team.

I have, however, been able to explore the city of Chicago which…I can’t for certain say what my expectations were coming into the city.  I’ve traveled here a handful of times on long weekends, but never for longer than that.  I had no idea what it would be like to immerse myself in the culture of Chicago living.  I’m in one of the ‘main 3’ student housing apartments in the South Loop area, two blocks from Grant Park, and a great location in terms of the distance to work.  The number of restaurants, bars, and people lining the streets every single day is truly mind-blowing, coming from the suburbs of Detroit.  I’ve only had a week or so to really get out and explore, but I couldn’t be more excited – now that I’m here and experiencing a little first hand – for what’s in store for the rest of the summer.

One thought on “Expectations | #2

Hi Chris,
    It sounds like you are starting to settle in and getting a chance to explore Chicago. I know you might feel like you are off to a slow start, but the onboarding process of any job or internship is so important. Hang in there, I’m sure things will pick up. I’m excited to hear about the projects you take on in the next several weeks.

~Kim