My first few weeks have gone extremely well, I am enjoying working in my research lab and learning all the new skills and techniques that I have learned. I have had a bit of difficulty because due to all the pipetting that I have been doing, as well as writing and typing, I have developed carpal tunnel syndrome. This has been difficult for me as it has been an obstacle that I am trying to overcome while working in my research lab. While I have gone to the doctor and occupational therapist multiple times and have been wearing braces, this issue has not been resolved and I am still working on trying to find ways to make my research work more bearable in terms of my hand pain.
That being said, I am still progressing a lot in my research work and getting a lot done in terms of creating new clones and putting our target DNA fragments into the different vectors that we are trying to clone them into.
A couple of mistakes that I have made in my first few weeks has resulted from trying to juggle so many tasks at once. One time when I was doing a cloning reaction as well as a miniprep, I placed the wrong tube into the cold room when the tube that I was doing cloning with was supposed to incubate at room temperature. I was able to quickly resolve the mistake by redoing the cloning reaction but it did waste time unfortunately. However, I was glad to have caught this error as soon as I so that I was able to fix the mistake promptly.
I have prevented making further mistakes by always double-checkin/rereading labels and instructions twice to prevent more errors.