Home away from home #3

This place really is my home away from home. I grew up in Arizona and I was lucky to land an internship so close to home. Michigan has also become my home, and whenever I’m in one place I am missing the other. Arizona gets a bad rep for its extreme weather, and honestly it deserves it sometimes. The heat here has been unbearable with temperatures up to 117 degrees. Its dry, but way hotter than Michigan ever got when I was there. My weather cycle these years has been brutal. Michigan winters and Arizona summers. Could it get any worse? But still I have ended up loving my two homes, as different as they are. There are three other interns here in my lab. Two are from ASU and one from Stanford, and luckily we have all bonded a great deal this summer. I didn’t expect to make such amazing friends and I’m finding that saying goodbye in a few weeks will be hard. Working and collaborating together has taught me a lot about the workplace and research in general. I’ve learned that research takes a lot of collaboration and failure. Each person here seems to have a different specialty and skill set, and it makes the lab unique but productive. I have learned so much this summer from this lab and it’s going to be challenging to leave but I’m grateful for my summer here.

Tatum D

I am a rising Senior at the University of Michigan working at The Mayo Clinic as a research assistant in a mathematical neuro-oncology lab.

2 thoughts on “Home away from home #3

Thank you for your first few posts, Tatum! My name is Jamie Monville and I’m a Mentorship Program Manager at the Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer!

How cool that you’ve been able to return to the Mayo Clinic for the past three years. There’s definitely something to be said for picking up where you left off while still having your day-to-day (or year to year) change between coding, data collection and contributing to papers!

I’m also glad to hear that you’ve found such a strong mentor this summer contributing to the paper. It’s surprising how much you can learn when given the freedom to explore, fail, and collaborate with colleagues.

With all of your various experience at the Mayo Clinic, is working there full-time after graduation something you’d be interested in? Is grad school in the cards? I’m curious to learn more about your intended path and how you’re planning on leveraging your impressive experience supporting the clinic in a variety of modes to reach your goals!

Hi Jamie! Working at the Mayo Clinic full time is likely not in my near future. I am actually applying to law school this semester, as I hope to pursue some type of law that is connected to the medical field. Thank you for reading my posts!