My Mentor, and what I’ve learned #4

As part of my internship program, I have a mentor assigned to me, which I have been really thankful for because I don’t know what I would do without her answering my questions and helping me fix issues that seem stupidly easy to solve in retrospect. But my whole team has actually been very helpful. Including my mentor, there are three members of my team that work in my office (the other half of the team works in India). One of the team members is who gives me most of my tasks, and he has become kind of a mentor to me as well. At the beginning of the internship, he gave me simple tasks, like writing unit tests. I was unhappy with this at first because I was hoping for more challenging tasks, but I soon understood that this was just to get me comfortable with the software. It also helped get me used to the development process and learn how to work with the team and ask questions. Now he is giving me more important tasks and it feels good that I am gaining a good enough understanding of the software that I am able to discuss idea with him and make real contributions to the code.

One thought on “My Mentor, and what I’ve learned #4

Annabell — I’m happy to hear you have supportive mentors at Siemens. Your team’s support suggests there may be potential for them to be important professional connections as you continue to grow in your studies.

At this time, I would like to introduce you to Uzma Anwar. Uzma will be following your internship until August. Best of luck to you!