Post 6

Big House Program Generation 7 arrives on campus a week from today! It is hard to believe that this internship is in its last couple of weeks. I am excited to see the final product of all of our hard work. I am also looking forward to seeing some of the PILOT volunteers that I have not seen since the end of winter semester.

As of this week it has been confirmed that the Big House Program is institutionalized. The Office of Enrollment Management (OEM) has become a sponsor and partner of the Big House Program. This partnership guaranteed funding and housing for BHP Part 1. In order to work with the university, the PILOT summer interns agreed to reduce the program to a 2 day, 1 night design. Every generation up to this point has experienced a 4 day, 3 night design. This shorter schedule will make the program more fast paced but the schedule has been designed in a way that does not take away from the participants’ experiences. I am excited to see what this partnership does for the Big House Program and for PILOT.

Before agreeing to partner with OEM, the Big House Program director met with the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management. I was fortunate to be the one taking notes at this meeting. Due to limited time the meeting only lasted half an hour. This did not take away from the discussion but made it more rapid. I was impressed by how quickly questions were being asked and answered. However, this did make taking notes a bit more difficult. I felt like I was typing as fast as I could and still felt that I struggled to keep up. When working with people who have busy schedules, I will have to prepare myself to work quickly and match their pace. Taking notes at this meeting was a good way to practice that skill.

With only a week until BHP Part 1, I want to start familiarizing myself with the participants. One of the other interns made identification cards for each of the participants which include a picture, their name, and school. Going through these cards multiple times before the participants get to campus will hopefully help me remember their names quicker once they are here. I am eager to meet the participants next week and to help make their experience in the Big House Program successful.

One thought on “Post 6

Hi Madison,
    That is so exciting that the Big House Program received permanent funding! It’s disappointing the program has been shortened, but good to hear it won’t take away from the participants experience. It’s always challenging to figure out how to do more with less.

I always find taking meeting notes difficult. I always fell like I have to write everything down! I have to remind myself to stick to action items, decisions, follow-up items, questions to be answered, and key facts. The more you practice, the easier it will become. I’ve really enjoyed hearing about your experience.

~Kim