Solidifying Life Plans | #4

This internship has influenced my plans for the future by solidifying my confidence in becoming a psychotherapist. My experience here has shown me that this field of work is right for me and that I should continue on this path and obtain a Master’s degree in social work. The psychotherapists here genuinely enjoy the work that they do as they know their work is improving the lives of others and helping in-need communities. I think it’s important to have a career where you can learn from the people to see the problems they’re facing and provide them with the tools necessary to overcome their problems. So, my time here has reinforced my decision of becoming a psychotherapist by showing me a new side of the work that I hadn’t paid much attention to before.

2 thoughts on “Solidifying Life Plans | #4

Hadi, it’s so wonderful to hear that this internship has been valuable to you in showing you that what you thought you wanted to do really is what you want to do! It’s so important to do internships because sometimes that’s not the case, but it’s just as valuable to get this experience to learn more about the field and be sure that it is right for you. What is the side of the work that you hadn’t paid much attention to before? Is it what you mentioned in your last post about some of the techniques that they use?

Excited to hear more!
    Maggie

Hi Maggie,

That’s right–seeing the techniques psychotherapists use was really fascinating to me and not what I had expected. I thought therapists just tell clients what to do, but in reality they guide clients to reach new understandings on their own.