Blog 5: Two Heroes

Most of the way into my program, I would like to dedicate this post to two people who have made my experience with Sanzhi Junior High unforgettable.

To 育成,

For two weeks, you have feed us and taken care of us so wholeheartedly. Even on the first day, you tirelessly put up a net to cover the door to prevent mosquitos from getting in. Even though our stomachs (and our fridge) were always full, you would still bring us nice food and drinks. I cannot thank you enough for how much you did for us and I will never forget your kindness. Thank you.

To Ida,

You have been with us for three weeks nonstop: helping us with our lesson plans and encouraging us. During the training week, we were treated as children, but you treated us like capable teachers and that really pushed me to work hard during my teaching weeks. Thank you for putting so much faith in us and offering help on the way.

Love you both,

Ariana Yea

2 thoughts on “Blog 5: Two Heroes

Thank you for your thoughtful posts, Ariana! My name is Jamie Monville and I’m a Mentorship Program Manager at the Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer!

Wow, it’s been a wild ride! From your first day feeling less than confident about your speaking in Mandarin, to the brutal training schedule, to the chaos of the classroom – you’ve encountered challenges and faced them head-on! It’s so exciting to read a post that starts out nervous and then ends with you feeling hopeful, optimistic, and re-energized. That’s no small task and I’ve been extremely impressed by your resolve and perseverance. If you can get the boy who doesn’t like to dance to speak English sentences – you can do anything!

Throughout all of your posts, I’ve been particularly struck by your reflections and gratitude for the individuals around you who are making the challenging work of teaching: the coordinators to 育成, and of course, Ida. I’m curious, have you had the opportunity to express this gratitude to them directly? What you’ve written about the community around you is powerful and as much as these individuals have given you renewed energy and hope – your words have the power to do the same for them!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences! Looking forward to learning more!

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the thoughtful comment! Yesterday was the last day I saw both Ida and 育成. I decided to write a note all in Chinese to them. It was extremely difficult and required looking back and forth in a English-Chinese dictionary, but I think they appreciated it!