Favorite Experience #3

This summer while I was interning, my favorite experience has been going to meet Judge Edwards from the 13th Circuit Court in Detroit. That day we went to the court house downtown where there was the end of a trial going on and a jury was adjourned for a separate case. It was very interesting because we were able to see the judge make a decision on the case of a young man who had been arrested for using drugs and was in a program to recover from the drug use. Afterwards we were able to meet with him and his clerk and discuss his career history and trajectory as well as what his advice is for people who are on their way to their professional lives. He was someone who was very genuine in his comments about what he has experienced being a young judge as well as a judge in Detroit. Through his clerk I was also able to meet a human rights lawyer that works with the ACLU in Detroit and have been able to have her in my network. Overall it was great speaking to someone so humble, who cares about the city and had such a great perspective on his job and what is going on with the city.

Mikaela

Raised in Detroit. U of M class of 2019

2 thoughts on “Favorite Experience #3

Hi Mikaela,

What an awesome story and great experience for you! It’s so great to hear that you are making connections and learning from the people you’re speaking with this summer. What kind of advice did these people give you that you found particularly helpful? I’m also curious how you plan on keeping Judge Edwards and the ACLU lawyer in your professional network? LinkedIn and social media can be a great tool for keeping connected with people that you want to add to your overall network.

Excited to hear more about your summer!

– Danielle

Hi Danielle, I was thinking of staying connected through linkedin and try to maintain my social media profile to be able to connect with them over time.