LEARNING CURVE- Steep and Thrilling | Tokyo # 5

It’s getting closer to the end of this internship which means deadlines are approaching fast.

My current on-going tasks include Project Nano Universe, passing the Google Analytics Individual Qualification exam, and studying for Japanese. It’s hard to believe, but I’m not as stressed as I expected myself to be. This all comes down to the company I’m interning at and its comfortable environment for interns like me where there are expectations for growth, but there are also the encouragements and support from other employees and upper management. I do not remember how many times my supervisor had asked me to not push myself too much or my boss had said “Can you…” or “Will it be okay?” or “This will be good for you in the future” every time he asked me to do a big task.

My presentation on Project Nano Universe.

For project Nano Universe, it was a difficult task in having to do complex data analysis with a program that I’ve never used before and having to compile all of it into a comprehensive and technical report and present it to the CEO, COO, the managers and everyone else in the company in a short, concise, simple, and non-technical way. It was such an exciting professional learning experience to be able to get immediate feedback from the CEO and the upper-level management team who have had years of experience in big companies such as Google and Proctor & Gamble. Where else will I be able to get this privilege? I’m also thankful just for the full support from the marketing department whether it was through translation or the technical and moral support. I will never forget that time when my supervisor dragged me into the company’s meeting room to help me prepare my presentation: timing me and teaching me how to to present in the Japanese culture.

Explaining my analysis report.

I also have been studying for the GAIQ exam and after much deliberation, I have decided to take the dreaded exam and receive a passing score. It was a long process from learning how to use it and studying for the exam to actually using it, but it was all worth it at the end. I have gained so many transferrable skills from this as well. Even though marketing was not one of the fields that I was planning on pursuing in college and after graduation, it was still a learning experience and taught me a lot especially in data analysis and quantitative and qualitative research.

One of the biggest things I have learned through this trip overall is to be opened to every opportunity presented to you because you never know how much you will gain from it. This was not anything new that I have learned, it was more of reinforcing the idea and I was able to apply it in real life and see the immediate and satisfying results from it.

One thought on “LEARNING CURVE- Steep and Thrilling | Tokyo # 5

Hi Hannah,

What a learning experience this internship has been (and continues to be)!

I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of your posts. I think you’ll find these blog posts to be so useful in the future when you return to Ann Arbor and think through all of the ways you’ve grown as a result of this internship! Good luck with the GAIQ exam!

Best,

Kelly