Networking | #5

Today was the last day of session (for the House…), so the August recess effectively begins today. With about a week to go, the rush is on to secure my internship during the fall (as I am in the Michigan in Washington program). Hopefully I find out soon what I’ll be doing.

As I mentioned earlier, one of the main goals of my internship has been to build my  professional network in D.C. I have met an average of 1 or 2 people each week for the 10 or so weeks I have been here. The people I have met mainly work in legislative member offices (working for representatives), as well as staffers in the House Energy and Commerce and the Foreign Affairs committees. Through these meetings, I have learned about their stories, words of wisdom, and general advice for getting a position on the Hill. I have also met people who have introduced me to other people, creating a web of staffers that I know.

Surprisingly, I actually dreaded this aspect of my internship when I started, but now it is one of my favorite parts. It makes me feel like I’m taking a concrete step toward accomplishing my goals, and building the ladder that will get me that next internship and someday a paid position. Ultimately, I will find out the value of this networking though once I find out what I’m doing for my fall internship. Hopefully it proves useful.

Jake

I am a rising senior studying Political Science at the University of Michigan, where I study American Politics and foreign affairs while enjoying all that Ann Arbor has to offer. This summer, I am interning with Congressman Fred Upton in his Washington D.C. office.

One thought on “Networking | #5

Hi Jake,
    Thanks for sharing your original apprehensions around networking. What was it about building your network did you dread? I know I often hear from students that it doesn’t feel authentic, or it feels a little questionable, if you’re trying to get something out of the relationship, as opposed to genuinely valuing them as a person.

So I would push you on the value of your network – you mentioned that it will show if it helps you secure an internship; thoughts on how your network might be valuable, beyond securing a fall opportunity/employment in general? I’m curious to see how the relationships you’ve built might be positive and helpful in other ways for your future! I’m glad that it’s turned out to be an aspect that you’ve enjoyed!

Beth