Women and Climate Change #5

One of my favorite experiences within my internship was an opportunity I had to pitch potential projects for the environment portfolio at a staff meeting. My boss and I had been discussing the intersections between women’s empowerment and climate change, who the pioneers were, the most obvious indicators that women are impacted more severely by climate change, and both movements as a whole. We decided to translate this into action and I was tasked with preparing a verbal presentation on the issue. I focused half of my presentation on providing concrete evidence that this issue is real, current, and has drastic impact on women from different nations, ethnicity, and socioeconomic statuses. The second component was on why my nonprofit was the right organization to tackle this issue. Women and climate change falls in the middle of our three portfolio’s (environment, social justice, public health) so we certainly have the bandwidth to tackle this issue head on.

The presentation went wonderfully and brought on a productive conversation about the impacts of climate change across the gender spectrum, how to best communicate this issue in less progressive societies, and how to make a potential approach intersectional. This moment was special because it demonstrated that my boss had developed a professional trust in me because of my work and when given the opportunity I did a great job.

I am thankful for so many moments within my summer in New York, but this one shines especially bright.

One thought on “Women and Climate Change #5

Congratulations on a job well done, Kevin! I think it’s wonderful that you were given the responsibility to introduce a potential project to the team. This was a great opportunity for you to not only scope a presentation from start to execution; but the conversation also forced you to consider how this information is most appropriately communicated across different audiences. This is an important consideration for you as you apply what you have learned this summer into that classroom and beyond. Keep up the great work! – Jake