Estrel Berlin #4

In my last post, I wrote about the hotel’s attempt to expand its ELVIS – The Musical tour to Hungary. Unfortunately, it seems this hasn’t worked out. We contacted three promoters in the capital, one of whom never replied and one of whom exchanged multiple emails with us before suddenly going quiet. (I personally find the lack of responses or explanations in sales to be quite frustrating.) The third promoter responded with a “If you are hiring me, I’m interested. But, if you are selling me the show, I’m not.” Of course, we were trying to sell him the show. My boss explained to me the lesson that, in sales, you can’t take no for an answer and you simply have to be persistent. He instructed me to send a follow-up to the promoter who had explicitly told us, “No, thank you.” While I understand that this is how you slowly convince people to change their minds and buy your product, I also know that I have been spammed by sales persons before in my life and never appreciated it, so I felt quite reluctant sending the email. Simply put, I learned in that moment that sales was not my world. What my boss called “persistence” I called “pestering” and what my boss called a “follow-up” I called a “second, unwanted sales pitch.” This was an important discovery for me as I can know move forward knowing confidently that I haven’t missed out on anything by pursuing another field (like education) over sales.

2 thoughts on “Estrel Berlin #4

Hi Payton, my name is Peyton and I am an intern at the HUB. I will be taking over for Jennifer and following your blog this summer. Your internship in Germany seems like it has been a great learning experience and you are realizing what you enjoy and want in a career. It sounds like you have been able to reflect on your experiences and understand that sales may not be your path. However, it is great that you have gained sales skills in your internship and are able to learn about the sales field. In your previous post, you mentioned how you learned about LinkedIn being used for business people to connect even though they may not be interested in actually building a business relationship. When you return to Ann Arbor, it may be helpful to meet with a coach at the HUB who can talk to you about all the ins and outs of LinkedIn (they have helped me so much). In your next posts, I would be curious to know about how you are continuing with your work despite feeling somewhat uncomfortable with all the sales techniques. Is it getting better over time? Also, I hope you are getting to practice your German speaking skills outside of work and are enjoying your time!

Katalin, I am so sorry for introducing myself to you incorrectly!!!!! My apologies.