Learning About Customers | #2

When I first started working at Kids on 45th, we were at a much smaller warehouse than we are at now. It’s crazy to think how fast this internship has been flying by and how much the company has grown! Several other employees were hired around the same time as me and we are still hiring! One of the first things I learned how to do was pack a box. Since Kids on 45th does allow you to customize your quantities, each box needs to be sorted as the orders come in. While I don’t plan on having kids for a long time, my knowledge on kids-related items has drastically changed! Did you know there’s a difference in 24 months and 2T? It can also be hard to tell if something is “cut” for boys or girls. We are gender inclusive, but a girl’s navy polo will fit much differently than a boy’s navy polo and these nuances need to be accounted for. It can also be difficult to distinguish between what’s thick material and what’s a swimsuit. Needless to say, if I ever need to buy baby clothes for family or friends, I’ll have it down!

At the moment, I work in the warehouse 3 days a week and I work in the store 2 days a week. Working in the store has definitely been where I have grown the most. I’ve never worked retail before, so learning how to use the register has been eye-opening. While this task might not seem like something a business intern might do, interacting with customers is so important and is keen insight into learning their pain points. Working in the store allows me to engage with our customers frequently, which is important when we’re thinking about how to scale the business. I would say 50% of my time is spent with the boxes and the store, and the other 50% is used to implement what I’ve learned in my business research. While I can’t share exactly what I’m doing, I’m focusing on a lot of tasks that will allow us to scale and reach more customers.

One thought on “Learning About Customers | #2

I can’t help but laugh at the fact that your internship has taught you so much about baby clothes! You’ll be able to help everyone you know pick out clothes for the little ones now, right? So that’s a plus!

It sounds like things are going very well for you at your internship and like you are learning a lot. To your point about working as a cashier in the store: there is nothing at all wrong with that! It’s a great thing to gain the experience working directly with the customers that you are supporting, and the people skills that can be learned from that type of role are invaluable. There’s nothing at all to apologize for with that.