The Future?, #6

• How has this internship influenced your (near) future school, career, or life plans?

I’m going into my senior year this upcoming school year (which is an incredibly weird/ frightening/ anxiety provoking/ confusing thing to type). This entire summer I’ve been thinking about my future– I’m studying for my upcoming GRE, preparing my senior thesis, looking into grad schools, looking into post-grad jobs, the list goes on and on. I’ve been contemplating taking a gap year post-graduation, and this has been something I’ve been going back and forth on this entire summer. One thing that has made me nervous is that I was under the impression it would be super difficult to find work after graduation What I’ve realized thanks to this internship is that there are a lot of community organizations all over the country where I can work at any point in my career (whether that means post-Bachelor’s degree or post-PhD). Even if I decide to take a year off, I can find work at an organization whose values very closely match my own, and I can do meaningful work within different communities that I am proud of and happy to do. This internship has also influenced my post-grad plans because I’ve been able to talk to so many people who have had different life-experiences. I’ve been able to talk to people who are only a few years older than I am, and they’ve been able to tell me what decisions they’ve made (taking a gap-year and working, going straight into grad-school), but I’ve also been able to talk to people who are older than I am whose careers have been really interesting and who have done things/ had certain jobs that I would love to have.

One thought on “The Future?, #6

Alexandra,

Thanks for posting this frank and honest entry about where you’re at and where you’re going. Senior year can be an equally exciting and terrifying prospect to stare down. It’s really natural to wonder where the time has gone, and to feel a bit ill-prepared for the work still to come. You should feel confident in the fact that you have accrued experiences and built a network that will open a lot of doors for you!

I loved reading about your reflections on the options that are available to you moving forward. I think a lot of folks struggle with this idea of needing a “prescribed” career path, where next steps are identical for everyone. Certain career paths are like that, but the vast majority are not. Leaning into the unknown and the ambiguity can make this process so much more exciting! Regardless of what your decision is, I’m sure that this summer experience will be a key component in considerations that will drive your decision making process!

-Josh