Oops! And more.. | #3

I firmly believe that people can learn from their mistakes, that others probably can too, and that there usually is something positive out of those mistakes. With that being said, to give some advice to all interns, that no one has asked for yet, I would say it’s so important to make the most of the internship you have. I’m sure that advice is so vague, and has been repeated so many times already. To be clear, for me, this involves asking questions, finishing more than the bare minimum, reaching out to other employees in the company that you may not directly work with, and continuously having the drive to learn more. It doesn’t matter if it’s learning more about the company, the industry, a specific role, or even just about another person’s hobbies.

All of this comes from the mess-up I did in not reaching out more often for feedback on my presentation. By not doing so, I redid the majority of the formatting of my presentation way more than I probably should have. Of course, I haven’t presented yet, but the presentation has finally come together and worked itself out in the end. With this internship so far, I wish I took my own advice. It has been such a wonderful experience so far, but of course, if I walked into the internship with this mindset, I feel like I would have accomplished so much more than what they expected of me and closer to my own limits.

While this internship has mostly changed my perception of the healthcare industry, I have gotten a chance to reflect on my group identities of race/ethnicity and gender throughout the internship experience. While there is continuous efforts towards equality of all forms in the workplace, I do notice that I have become the minority in some situations within the corporate environment. At work, and to my surprise, even at some company events this past week, I have noticed that it has been becoming less so. So… here’s to hoping that things will change for even better, more accepting, and more diverse in the future! After all, people are the foundation of every team, company, and idea. Cheesy.

Aside from that, I met up with my friend/mentor to go to Governor’s Island this past weekend after having some lovely Thai food. There are quite a few things to do on the island, such as bike-riding, and taking a tour of the castle, which I did. The views from the island are absolutely fantastic (see featured) and so was the ferry ride that was about 30-seconds long. My friend and I ended up walking in circles until we found the hammocks we were originally looking for. I pulled out my book to fool myself about being productive and my downloaded Netflix movie to watch. Despite the makeshift shade from an umbrella, the sun was beaming down on us. More advice: please don’t go when it is extremely hot and not cloudy or you will get a terrible headache. There’s definitely no shortage of things to do in NY… 10/10 would go again, when it’s 70 degrees.

2 thoughts on “Oops! And more.. | #3

Hi Angie,

Thanks for providing this thoughtful entry on your internship experience in New York – while it certainly has not been a walk in the park, it sounds like you are learning a lot about the ins and outs of professional life!

I found your musings on the moments of clarity you had around some of your identities to be really powerful – it can be really intimidating and exhausting to look around the room and discover that you are the only one that looks like you. While I am glad to hear that your organization is taking steps to address some of these issues, I really encourage you to reflect on what your needs are as it relates to these identities you’ve mentioned. Who might be the people in your organization that can provide guidance or advocacy in these areas? If there is not someone who has experienced something similar in your organization, are there folks you can reach out to outside of your organization that you can unpack some of these moments with?

You also talked about your reflections on improvements you could make to your work process, with the example of needing more feedback for your presentation. I am glad that you came to this understanding – feedback is such a critical component to your personal and professional development, and oftentimes, we do not receive it if we do not ask! If this is an important piece for you moving forward, would it be worthwhile to include this in the list of topics you discuss with your supervisor for your next meeting?

Thanks again for sharing these thoughts and reflections! I’m looking forward to reading more!

-Josh

Hi Josh! I definitely took these suggestions into consideration during my meeting with my supervisor to ask for feedback. I’ve been able to discuss some of the identity reflections with some of my peers and am glad I did so. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts on this!

– Angie