#6 / Final Week

As the final week of my internship begins, I have taken some time to reflect on the experience and to look forward to what is to come. I cannot emphasize enough how valuable this experience has been for me. The internship has been unlike any other I have participated in, as I have been constantly involved in the organization’s work and have been given a high level of responsibility. This freedom has allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of several topics in the field by really diving into the questions and challenges that face juvenile justice professionals today, rather than just doing administrative work or merely scratching the surface on some of these issues. Additionally, living in Washington D.C. for eight weeks has given me the opportunity to discover a new place and to be constantly engulfed in topics of interest to me, whether it be juvenile justice, politics, or even sports. I have been constantly amazed by this city and its culture, people, and places. Looking ahead, this internship has given me a new sense of confidence upon entering the professional world next year, and has taught me many valuable lessons that I will carry with me as I embark upon my final year of school and start planning for my future professional endeavors.

One thought on “#6 / Final Week

Noah, thank you so much for sharing about how valuable your internship has been for you. I can see why getting the opportunity to have so much responsibility and be so deeply involved means that this internship has been particularly impactful for you. The information you’ve been sharing that you have learned about juvenile justice and your passion for the work really shows that you’ve had a great experience. I’m so glad you’ve had the opportunity to build your confidence in the professional world!

While you’re still thinking about all of this, I recommend writing some notes for yourself NOW about what you learned, what you did, and keep some “artifacts” of your work so that you can talk about what you did later and more easily add it to your resume. I always think I’ll remember, but let me tell you, I have not, and then when it has come time to write or talk about my work, I have nothing! So I hope you can learn from my mistakes!

I do also want to acknowledge that since your requirement for us is to do 6 blog posts and this is your 6th, you have met your requirement! You are more than welcome to continue to post and I will continue to read and respond, but you are not required to do any more posts.

I have sincerely enjoyed following your experience this summer. I hope we get to meet in person in the Hub someday!

Maggie