Final Projects (#5)

Hey all,

As of right now, the MSPICED internship has only 2 weeks left. We’ve got 2 large projects/assignments coming up – a research report and a poster. Both are focused on the study that we worked on most during the summer. There are 2 graduate students in my lab, so the 6 of us interns were divided evenly between them, and our “team” is working on creating the poster together. The research report, though, is to be written individually.

I feel confident about most aspects of doing these projects. The only thing that is causing me a bit of stress is writing the results. My mentor has given my team access to the data for the study we’re writing about, but it seems that we’re expected to run the analysis and report the results on our own. Being pretty unfamiliar with that part of the research process makes this nerve-wracking for me, but I’m sure it will be a beneficial experience in the long run. I plan to talk to the other interns on my team about how they plan to approach this and if they planned on asking our mentor for help. I don’t expect her to do everything, but I feel that some guidance through the process would make it much easier and beneficial for us.

Other than this, everything in the lab has remained the same. The final word is that there won’t be any testing taking place in the lab this summer, much to my dismay. I feel that the experience of scheduling, confirming, bringing families into the lab, and live-coding the testing would have been an extremely valuable experience for myself and all of the other interns.

Doing testing at the museum and parks is great experience too, nonetheless. However, it’s unfortunate for the interns because in this scenario our main job/focus is recruitment. There’s a great pressure to approach every and any family we see, even if they seem uninterested and avoidant, which can make the experience anxiety-provoking and at times, awkward. However, having this opportunity has given me a chance to further my skills when it comes to approaching families and talking about research in an accessible way, which is always good.

All in all, we’re chugging along here in the Social Minds Lab.