Final Week | #5

We are almost one week away from the primary and it’s all hands on deck at Team Irwin. Throughout this last week, we have plans to canvass every day as well as many planned strategy meetings. The last week before the election is always the most hectic of the campaign, and sometimes it is difficult to remain polite and well mannered with those around you. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately depending on how you look at it, you cannot be impolite when your job is to convince random people to vote for a certain person. When you go out and knock doors, you can’t begin a conversation with a bad attitude. No matter how many hours you’ve been out in the sun or how many bad conversations you’ve had, at each door you have to put a smile on your face and act excited to talk to whoever opens the door. I think this is a good skill to have in life. People react more positively to you when you are more positive yourself. As much as I dislike knocking doors, and as much as it makes me anxious, I do think it has made me a more confidant person. Forcing myself to talk to strangers is difficult, but having conversations with them regarding something I care so much about, electing Jeff Irwin, makes talking a little easier. I feel very confident that I can apply this skill to my everyday life. This will especially help me when I continue to canvass on and off once the school year starts. Electing progressive candidates in November will be one of my top priorities, outside of my school work of course. I’m very thankful for this internship for teaching me both real life skills as well as professional ones that will help me throughout the rest of my life.