Food Adventures | #5

One of the best things about living in Chicago is the food! Walking down the streets, you can easily find a wide range of restaurants from popular national chains to local gems. One of the foods that I have always wanted to try is poke. It’s one of the newer food trends of Chipotle-style sushi. You are able to customize the bowls to fit your liking from the base (rice, salad) to the proteins (tuna, spicy tuna, chicken, salmon, etc) to the best part… the toppings (crab salad, edamame, avocado, spicy mayo, the list goes on…). Poke is hard to find in Ann Arbor. In fact, I believe there may only be one place that serves it and it did not open until quite recently. For this reason, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity being in Chicago and get a taste of it for myself. After having it once, I can say with confidence that it definitely lives up to the hype. My perspective may be skewed as a sushi lover, but poke is one of the best things I have tried in food-wise during my internship and I have already gone around and tried a couple other poke places in the city!

One thought on “Food Adventures | #5

Hi Chris! Thanks for sharing your last two posts about the social and cultural aspects of your internship. I am glad to hear that your internship has exposed you to urban environments outside of Ann Arbor. Cities like Chicago are great not only because they are employment centers; but they are places that are accessible to people of all cultures. A large part of your professional discovery process is to step out of your comfort zone. That can mean meeting new people, trying new food (my favorite), and navigating the density of urban landscapes. It sounds like you are experiencing all of that and then some! I hope your experience helps you get an understanding of not only the type of work you want to do; but also the type of place in which you would like to work. – Jake