Learning & Growing | #3

It is crazy to think about how time flies by so quickly. Just last week, I was more than halfway through my internship at The National Forum on Higher Education for the Public Good. I remember my first day at the office and how soon my last day is coming up. I have endlessly appreciated the dedication from my dear Forum staff to teach and help us learn.

I will have to say that my mentors at The Forum are the best mentors because they are both understanding and very helpful. I never expected to build such a close relationship and develop such a strong connection with my them. Richard has been very patient and always informative. He possesses incredible knowledge that helps guide me through tough tasks or problems that arise. Furthermore, he encourages me to become my better self by offering advice and good criticism. Wether its clarifying a task, improving my assignments, or learning how to be productive and asking good questions in meetings. As for my project mentor, I have quickly learned to trust and appreciate him. Nick has been very compassionate and supportive from the start. His communication skills with the interns are efficient and he is always available to explain and clarify any questions. I respect that he is always available through email at all times, despite being busy outside of office hours. I believe both of them are genuinely concerned with how we are doing and what they can do to help us. From them, I have learned how to write professional emails, how to store and organize data, how to write article summaries, the best strategies in research, and the best approaches in communicating with others.

The National Forum’s work consists of research projects, student support, policy analysis, and advocacy. I believe that this office has contributed tremendously in their student’s involvement and my personal development. Their work has so much purpose that I have left every day feeling self-fullfilled knowing that not only have I helped myself, but I’ve also helped others.

One thought on “Learning & Growing | #3

Thank you for your posts, Sandra! My name is Jamie Monville and I’m a Mentorship Program Manager at the Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer!

You’ve covered so much ground in such a short period of time, from conference planning and all that encompasses, to research and public speaking – the skills you’re gaining in this internship seem endless. I’m also so happy to hear that you’ve found valuable mentors that are invested in your success. Is higher ed, research, and/or activism something you’re looking to pursue beyond this internship?

I’d also like to quickly say that I was in that audience where you shared your story and was overcome by your polish, poise, and courage. Your panel was the highlight of the event for me and I can’t thank you enough for sharing your story.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experience at the Forum!