Learning Should Be Tied to Practical Activity | #5

This internship helped me grow and develop a lot as a person. I learned valuable skills here that I could only have learned through practical experience rather than sitting in a classroom. For example, I learned to be more empathetic towards others by first seeing things from others’ perspectives and placing the collective interests of others before my own. I learned what it means to actually care for others outside of a selfish motivation and have an authentic desire to place myself in service of others. I learned these lessons through the interactions with those I work with as well as by watching the therapists interact with their clients. These experiences have also taught me the relative futility of education divorced from practice, and how learning and practical experience must go hand-in-hand. Only through practical experience can you fully reach such valuable conclusions.

2 thoughts on “Learning Should Be Tied to Practical Activity | #5

Hadi, your insight about practice and education both being necessary is so important. Your experience really is such a good example of the importance of applying your education directly to practice. I’d be curious to know if there is anything you have learned through your college education that you have been able to apply in your internship?

Maggie

Not that I can think of. I was given training by my bosses for all of the work I did.