Oopsie Daisy! #2

The first few weeks are a mix of easy and difficult. The easy part is the tasks, I got assigned tasks that anybody could do. The difficult part was remembering what was said and what was I supposed to do, and in what order. I remember coming in one day and I was still reliant on other people as to my questions and step by step instruction. It was close to the end of the day and I wanted to make the head attorney proud by showing him that I could do an intake(interview for new clients). He was in the hub area where I do my work and he was explaining some information to someone else(who usually answers the phone). As they were talking the phone rang and it rang again, nobody seemed to answer it so I decided to go for it. As I picked up the phone I even raised my voice a little to make sure I head the head attorneys full attention. As I was talking on the phone she was requesting to speak with someone not in our office, I told the lady I would put her on hold while I ask. And I looked back and asked the head attorney and he said: “Just because they request someone doesn’t mean they need that person”. He said that the first step was to do an intake which had been covered in the second day that I was interning. I was so embarrassed by the fact that I had forgotten one of the first rules. Once he said that he walked out and I began to feel scared of possibly losing the client or making her frustrated. Thankfully someone who was an expert at intakes guided me through the call and I was able to learn as I went. From this experience, I learned to be confident and take risks only when I am certain. Thankfully everything went well and the lady was not at all frustrated. After that experience, I was able to answer phone calls and follow the proper protocol.

One thought on “Oopsie Daisy! #2

Hi Osvaldo! My name is Shaina and I’m an intern at the Hub. Thank you for sharing about your experience thus far, it sounds amazing! It sounds like you found an internship that meets a lot of your interests which is incredible. Having to change your path can be scary, but it seems like you found a focus to help people in a way you are passionate about.

Making a mistake can be nerve-wracking, especially in front of your supervisor. But it seems that you learned so much from the experience! You now know the proper protocol to answer the phones and know you can ask for help from your fellow colleagues. They may be good resources this summer, have you considered how you can network while working at MIRC? It is never too early to start.

As your experience continues I will be curious to hear if this is a company you would want to work for in the future as you are doing so much beneficial work with people directly. I’m excited to continue reading about your amazing experience as a Law Clerk with MIRC!