Surgeries and Clinics and Bears, Oh My

DISCLAIMER: I’m just going to come out and say that I won’t actually be talking about any bears today. The title was just too catchy.

Okay, now that I am done trying to be funny, I’m going to talk about what I’ve learned from clinic and surgery so far.

I think I have come to the conclusion that I could never be a surgical oncologist of any sorts because it is so hard to go see new patients in clinic twice a week and hand out cancer diagnoses like they’re candy on Halloween. The doctors I work with are incredible human beings. They have got it down to a science when it comes to delivering bad news about a cancer diagnosis. Even though I know they are seeing our team so that we can figure out how to beat the cancer, I can’t help but find myself dreading going to clinic each week.

Thankfully, spending time in the OR is always the thing I look forward to most in a given week. I’ve come to realize how team-oriented surgery is. Without every individual in the OR (besides myself) the surgery wouldn’t be able to happen, or at the very least, it would be much more difficult. Everything and everyone comes together like a well oiled machine and it is just incredible to watch.

Recently, I have found that I am intrigued by the anesthesiologists role in surgery. They are always very attentive and aware of everything going on in the OR. They keep track of several different monitors and know exactly when to administer a drug at the exact time they need to administer it. I’ve come to appreciate their role in surgery much more than I did before this internship.

Additionally, I am currently trying to put the final touches on the slides for our breast health presentations and communicate with the right people to make sure everything is in place when we go to present. My next blog post will go into more detail about the planning process and how everything is coming together.

Also, here is a fun graphic I found when putting the final touches on the presentation:

Image result for breast cancer spanish

One thought on “Surgeries and Clinics and Bears, Oh My

I was really holding out for bears! ;p

Part of any good experience is how it informs us more about ourselves. It sounds like you’ve had a great opportunity and been able to really make the connections between the experiences you’ve been having each day, and how those experiences inform you about yourself.

I think it’s great that you’re really exploring so many different facets of your internship and finding the places where you feel like you fit and connect with. One of the most important aspects of getting the most from your internship is exploring it and letting it help you explore yourself. I think you’re doing great work and I really look forward to hearing more!