Unanticipated Dilemmas // 5

My internship has been centered on storytelling through casual interviews with the idea of using these testimonies for advocacy and the improvement of policies that affect the storytellers. We have held group interviews in affordable housing facilities where groups of residents have shown up to talk to us about energy efficiency in their homes and how it affects their lives. We’ve also talked to building owners and managers, asking about how they’ve impacted energy and living in the buildings they are responsible for. We came in with a basic idea of what questions we wanted to ask, allowing for the natural path of the conversation to control how we asked.

The problem with “storytelling” is that it seems to take hundreds of conversations to find the compelling tale that you need for the purpose you’re pursuing. Most people have experiences with the issue at hand, but often those experiences are lists and not novels. It forces, for success, kind and patient perseverance. The purpose of storytelling is one that seeks to help, and it cannot be overshadowed by the desire for the perfect story. It cannot be obscured by the cold push for policy or ruined by coercion. It’s the desire to advocate that causes frustration: we know hardships exist, but where do we find the stories that “sell”? The reality is that these are what force change.

I’ve been finding myself a little frustrated with the pace of my work and the limitations of what I’m allowed to do. I think I know what it takes to talk to a lot of people and collect stories and I’m willing to do it, but because of the circumstances of internship and supervision, I don’t have much autonomy in trying to collect these stories. I’m kind of bound by the transition that the relationship between EcoWorks and MEEFA is undergoing.

One thought on “Unanticipated Dilemmas // 5

Hi Anna, Thanks for sharing about your frustrations – I can totally understand (and relate to!) when you are capable of and motivated to jump right in to the work. And, for whatever reasons, are prevented from doing so. My thought at this time is to ask how you might use this experience to inform and prepare you for what’s in your future? For example, I have perceived from your posts that you value autonomy and hard work – being able to actually do the work. If this is true, you might consider how do you evaluate future opportunities in order to assess how they align with these values?

If you would find it helpful to talk through more of your experience and your learnings from it, I encourage you to consider making an appointment (in-person or virtual) with one of our fantastic Coaches. They can help you continue to reflect on your experience in a way that can be really helpful in thinking about what is next.