Why I Am Doing This? #1

Over time I believed that I would end up working in the medical field. For a time I would tell people over and over that, I was set to be a surgeon. I would brag about how I would be my own boss and that I would be a top surgeon. And I had those thoughts beginning in high school. When I stepped foot on campus I still wanted to pursue an undergraduate degree in pre-med specifically an area in biology. At first, it all seemed very good and manageable but as the semesters went by it started going out of hand. Every night I thought to myself Do I really want to continue on this path? And every night I would pray to God to give me a sign; any sign. In November I was emailed by a friend who is an accountant and he wanted to know how I was doing and he also asked: “Are you still thinking about Pre-Med?” I threw the phone down and really started thinking.

That’s when it hit me and I told myself no.

I made a realization that I did want to do something for the world. I knew that I wanted to help people. I started thinking about the many ways that I could and I realized that in medicine especially for surgery, there is only a select number of people that I could help. So, I began to think about myself and remembered back when I was undocumented and realized that I wanted to help the people that don’t have access to many services because they lack documentation or legal status in the United States. That’s when I talked to an adviser and she recommended me to MIRC.

Looking into it I was amazed and didn’t know what to expect. Little did I know that I would immediately start calling clients and talking to them about there cases and relating to their lives. Now I realize that I am doing this for the good of the people and helping them towards a better future.

Now I wait to see what comes next…

One thought on “Why I Am Doing This? #1

Osvaldo,

My name is Josh Lee, and I am one of the coaches in the LSA Opportunity Hub. Myself and one of the Hub Interns will be reading and commenting on your blog. I am really looking forward to reading about your experience this summer – I hope it is a fulfilling and rewarding experience!

-Josh