I’m in DC! #1

I’m going to be honest– of all the internships I applied for, I did not think I would end up at a government relations firm focusing on transportation policy. What surprised me was not the government relations portion, but rather the transportation policy part. I have always wanted to dabble in the government relations/lobbying sector, just to see what it’s like. However, I never really gave much thought to transportation policy.

On second thought though, transportation has been a huge constant in my life. Growing up in New York City, I was always on different modes of public transportation everyday. As an out-of-state student traveling between New York and Michigan all the time, I was very (too?) familiar with air travel. Last semester, I was lucky enough to study abroad and travel within in Europe, where I had higher exposure and frequency of taking different modes of transportation. Transportation is and has been extremely central in my life– I just did not realize to what extent it was important.

This is going to be my first time spending a summer in Washington DC. This should be especially interesting because I want to figure out if I would enjoy living in this city post-grad. DC is a very viable city for me because of the fact that I’m into everything government-and-politics related. I think that even though there are a lot of job opportunities out here, the city environment matters a lot too. We’ll see– I’m going to try and keep an open mind about it.

One thought on “I’m in DC! #1

Hello Sion – My name is Kate, and I’m a Coach at the Opportunity Hub. I will be following along with your blogs this summer with Hub Intern Zane. Apologies that it’s taken us a few days to respond to these first several posts. It’s fantastic that you found an internship that is making you think about an essential part of your life in a new way. We’re looking forward to reading about your experiences in DC!

p.s. from our end, it looks like your third post is missing. Is there any chance you either didn’t hit publish or designate it as “Field Notes”?