(More than) Halfway to End | #4

Having been in New York for the majority of my life, it truly feels like home. While everyone thinks of NYC as Manhattan, Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, and bright lights, it’s more than that for me. Since college, everything has changed and seemed a little more temporary by not staying at any place for more than four months at a time. However, I feel like I would always come back to New York (for the food) because there is such a wide range of environments from people, to scenery, to architecture. Humble brag, but I do love being able to live in the most diverse urban area in the world. It’s crazy to think that over 90 dialects/languages are being spoken within this area of the world. (Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/queens-languages-map-2017-2)  Also, to clear things up, I don’t think the majority of New Yorkers are rude… they all happen to just have a destination and a goal to get there quickly.

Back to the internship, I feel like the experience this summer has made me so much more grateful for being able to experience and live in this city, despite the bad reputation we have of being rude. While out of my norm, I made myself commit to not one, but two (!) networking events this past week. Surprising, nothing went wrong! I met some wonderful peers, some from Ann Arbor (school or otherwise), and had some great conversations. The featured photo was from Thomson Reuters, second and third (in the post) being Charles River Associates… both on the 30+th floor. 100% not trying to name drop, but just completely astounded by the incredible view from these offices. From my outsider perspective, I feel like being used to something like that, in the heart of Times Square, would bring such a bittersweet feeling for me. Somehow, someday, I would love to get somewhere like that, but be able to maintain the same awe and wonder for me as the day I first saw it. With the featured image, it is so weird to see the famous Times Square 2018 Ball from this angle, when a couple of years ago I was in a crowd of thousands during freezing temperatures. Not worth it.

Back to the internship that I’m here for, I am learning so much from it. There are these educational workshops that have been so insightful about both personal and professional development/presentation, and about the industry itself. I happened to really enjoy a workshop about Emergency Preparedness, which really taught me the complexity of organization on all levels during an emergency. I’m looking forward to what the rest of this internship brings me!