The Magic Beyond the Job Description | Week 3

More often than not, my favorite aspects of an internship are unexpected. Voted “Most Organized” in high school, I am a fastidious planner and like to have an idea of what my next steps are . . . whether for that day, that week, or that year. I think that’s why I like to be surprised. Well, if the surprise is pleasant anyways . . . and this one certainly was.

At the beginning of last week, my supervisor Jess informed me that we would be arranging a photoshoot . . . in a castle . . . with real models. I was on cloud nine. My brain immediately started racing with ideas for poses, attire, props, and the like.

Around mid-week, we visited the estate to better prepare for the shoot. I was absolutely awestruck. We roamed the grounds, checking out the poolside, tennis courts, and gardens for potential backdrops.

I often have to stop to remind myself how incredibly unique this opportunity is. When will I  ever be planning photoshoots in royal Swedish headquarters again in my life?? Probably never.

My internship with Midsummer Tea has extended far beyond the job description, and for that I am so grateful. The planned and expected have been perfectly balanced with the unexpected. I have found where I am most in my element: when I am ideating, creating, and executing my plans. I am someone who likes to make things happen and through my experiences this summer, I’ve become more comfortable asserting my opinions and vision with my superiors. I’m learning to better trust my instincts and utilize my natural eye for design.

Tomorrow, all of our planning and preparation will accompany our spontaneous creativity to, in hopes, produce photos that capture the brand and tell a story.

One thought on “The Magic Beyond the Job Description | Week 3

Hi Abbey,

Before I give you my thoughts on this latest entry, I’d like to commend you on your use of the word “fastidious”. It’s easily one of my favorite words in the English language.

It sounds like this internship is providing you with some amazing experiences to stretch your comfort zone and think on your feet! I’m glad to hear that your experience has been such a positive one thus far, and that you are discovering new talents and gifts that you possess as well as rediscovering old passions!

I loved reading about how you are adjusting to how the fast-paced, spontaneous nature of your work, despite the fact that you identify as more of a planner. This flexibility is going to be so important to highlight as a critical skill as you continue to build your professional identity and elements of your personal brand. The fact that your growing assertiveness and confidence is being received positively is evidence that you are really building a solid foundation of trust with your key stakeholders. When you get to this point, the “feeling” of being an intern or a “subordinate” to another person’s vision gives way to you being an active participant and leader in this process. Do you find yourself navigating your relationships differently as you are gaining more comfort in your role and with the organization? I encourage you to reflect on the little moments that highlight this growth and to file those away – these small narrative pieces can add so much power and context to interview responses in the future!

I can’t wait to hear more about the photo shoot – hopefully, you’ll get to share some cool images!

-Josh