Update #6: Final Thoughts and Reflections

As the summer winds down and fall looms in the near future, I am thankful for the opportunity to expand my technology skills, meet some amazing people, and experience situations that forced me to grow as an individual.

I learned a lot: how to fix the blue screen of death in Windows (usually reinstall the whole OS), how to deal with angry customers, how much old people appreciate help with computers, how to diagnose hardware issues, remove and replace hard drives, and the list goes on. My coworkers were the backbone of this learning, and I am immensely grateful for their continued efforts to share what they know.

This past weekend I met a gentleman a few years older than me who has been working for the company who own the Geek store for about three years. The business that operates the stores also has an intricate industry-side business that involves setting up and maintaining the computer systems and networks for more than 300 businesses in the metro Detroit area. He told me his story of working his way up from being a tech at the storefront to now being a member of the business side, and it made me wish I could stay at the Geek store longer and continue to move up in the company. However, between school and the commute to the store it’s not viable for me to do that during the school year. I am disappointed and feel, at least in part, that I am missing an opportunity. Yet, I know that I gained a lot this summer, and the Geek store and business network side of the company will be around if I ever decide to return after graduation or even next summer.

One thought on “Update #6: Final Thoughts and Reflections

Hi Charlie, my name is Jamie Monville and I’m a Mentorship Manager at the Hub. I’ve really enjoyed reading your blogs this summer! It’s clear that you’ve learned so much about technical support throughout this internship and I’m excited to see that you’ve already started scoping out opportunities for on campus in the Fall and beyond.

I know it’s definitely a bummer to feel like you’re missing an opportunity at the Geek store while you come back to school to study and work – but you’re absolutely right in saying that it will be around if you decide to return. In the meantime, I’d encourage you to stay in touch with the individual who told you his story and your colleagues so that if you do decide you want to return, it’ll feel as though you never left. I’d also encourage you to use the time at Michigan to dive deeper into your interest areas as well as explore areas within the field that you may not have been able to at the Geek store. You’ll only become more valuable to the Geek store and you might just find another passion!

I want to acknowledge that with this post you’ve met the six blog requirement for the scholarship. You’re more than welcome to continue to blog and I’ll continue to follow your posts! However, if this is the last time that I hear from you on the blog we’d love to see you stop by the Hub in the Fall to discuss how you can represent this experience on your resume, LinkedIn, in networking conversations, and/or in interviews as well as how you might continue to explore this field while in Ann Arbor!

I hope you have a great rest of your summer!