Blog #5: The importance of Linkedin (something I wish I knew)

So I have had a linkedin page since before I graduated high school, however, I haven’t actually made effective use of it at all until this summer. Granted, I’ve been doing perfectly well up until this point without it. I’m doing defense lobbying now and after I graduate from U of M next year I want to work on the hill or work for a campaign and everyone who I’ve talked to at my internship has said that pretty much every job on the hill or with a campaign is given to someone with a connection. Therefore, the more you network, the more likely you are to get hired and recently I have come to see what an amazing networking tool linkedin is. A friend of mine who works at the Republican National Committee told me that I should get my linkedin page up to par (I barely had anything on it until recently) and that I should look up every University of Michigan alumni in Washington D.C. whose working in an area that is of interest to me. I was skeptical of this at first, but it ended up working out much better than I ever imagined. The chief of staff for a sitting U.S. Senator (I’m not going to say which one) sat down and shared some valuable advice with me for half an hour and I’d say that because of that talk my chances of getting to where I want to go have skyrocketed. I have a coffee meet and greet session with another Michigan alumni tomorrow and two more people have agreed to meet with me although we have not scheduled a time yet. My only regret is that I didn’t start doing this sooner. I would’ve made a lot more great contacts.