Blog Post 4: Home Away from Home

This summer I am living in the Lower East Side of NYC. Being a native New Yorker, you would think that there was very little adjustment for me moving to the city. You would be wrong. I am from Eastern Long Island, Westhampton to be exact, which is a little beach town where people from NYC spend their summers. I love it there, I really do, but in order to pursue the career that I want I need to live in a city. I grew up coming to NYC every weekend to visit my aunt, or go to a concert, or even just go shopping. What I didn’t realize was that living in a place and knowing a place are two very different things.

There is no where in the world I love more than NY. I don’t really know why, but it is true. I assumed living in NYC would be easy as its exactly what I have always wanted, but that is not the case. Things are expensive, people can be nasty, and you constantly need to be on the lookout for oncoming bikers. While there have been difficulties living here, and I have gone home more weekends than I can could to go to the beach, I realized how much I love NYC. I love a challenge, and I think that NYC offers more than anywhere else I could live. If I want to change jobs, I can find a new one. If I want to go glow bowling, I can. There is so much opportunity here.

Living in NYC this summer has solidified my desire to work and live here permanently following graduation next year. I love the hustle and bustle and constant excitement that NYC has to offer, and I can’t imagine living anywhere else.